Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tender Mercy

Remember this talk by Elder Bednar, "The Tender Mercies of the Lord." That has been a great principle to know about in my life. It has given me a term to help me describe some of the greatest experiences I've had in my life.

It doesn't happen too often to me, usually when I'm going through a hard time, and it doesn't really change any of my circumstances or make things "better." But it does give reason to see life from a different perspective and causes me to hope.

For the past few weeks I have been building up concern about getting a job. Which is silly, all the people who graduated with me don't have the cushion that Lori's job gives us by allowing her to stay employed for a year. But I was concerned.

Then last Tuesday I was at the BYU library doing research for my internship, and I wasn't finding the information that I needed, I was getting frustrated, and I decided to find somewhere to watch the devotional. The speaker was one of my MPA professors, Jeff Thompson, and the topic was--and this is, no joke, the title--"Finding Calling Without Anxiety." His speech was excellent, but more importantly, the Spirit let me know that God was still aware of me and that He loved me and that if I but trusted Him He would help me find "calling" in life.

I'm still without a job and there are many uncertainties still looming in the future but that tender mercy will help me to better weather the storms ahead and I'm grateful for that.

5 comments:

jeanine said...

Thanks Wes.

I think sometimes the secret to tender mercies is seeing them for what they are. I'm sure we are showered with them more often then we take notice.

Unknown said...

I love this, Wes.

One of my BofM teachers pointed out that showing us the "tender mercies" was Nephi's thesis. Since I've looked at it that way, it's so obvious to see that is what life is all about...finding them and being grateful and making them come about for others.

Your fam has been a tender mercy for us several times. thanks :)

Marci said...

sometimes I'm so busy I forget to look for the tender mercies--thanks for the reminder!

Grandma lu said...

Oh Wes, just read this today, and a reminder of "tender mercies" is just what I need. I have saved the online clip of Elder Bednar's talk and sometimes I just replay it to remember. Love you!

Nola said...

I love tender mercies!
Thanks for mentioning Jeff's devotionals. I have not been able to watch the last few, so I had no idea he was speaking. I will have to look it up! I can't wait to read the full text.
Good luck with the job hunt.