Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Father in Him

My friend Emily (of Bloom fame) posted this poem years ago.  I loved it.  You will too.

At the Church Christmas Party
--Carol Lynn Pearson

My little Johnny, who was three,
Climbed with lights in his eyes onto Santa’s knee.
“And what would you like this year, my boy?
If I can I’ll bring your favorite toy.”

Johnny didn’t even need time to think.
“I want a dolly,” he said, “that will eat and drink.”
Twelve parents, at least, turned and looked at me
And a big man said suspiciously,

“Next year he’ll want a dress or two.”
I replied, “It’s the father in him coming through.”
“Well, that’s not what some folks say.
A kid’s character’s built by the way he’ll play.”

My little Johnny, who was three,
Climbed with lights in his eyes from Santa’s knee.
And the big man grinned as he watched his son
Ask Santa Claus for a tank and a gun.

1 comment:

Grandma lu said...

Read WILLIAM'S DOLL, Charlotte Zolotow -
William wants a doll - to hug, to feed, to tuck in, and kiss goodnight. "Don't be a creep, " says his brother. "Sissy, sissy, " chants the boy next door. His father buys him trains and a basketball - but not the doll that William really wants. Then one day, someone comes along who understands why William should have his doll.

One of my favorite books.