Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"New Words"

Wanted to include a favorite song this week. 
But can we make a request? 
Don't watch the slides when you listen (gasp!) 
There's nothing wrong with the slides.
They're nice slides.
But we think it's nicer to let the music conjure up it's own magic. 
Tried to find an audio only version. 
Couldn't.
So you're on your honor.



New Words
Words and Music by Maury Yeston
Performed by Brian Stokes Mitchell


Look up there, high above us
In a sky of blackest silk;
See how round, like a cookie
See how white, as white as milk;
Call it the moon, my son, say moon
Sounds like your spoon, my son, can you say it;
New word today, say moon.

Near the moon, brightly turning
See the shining sparks of light;
Each one new, each one burning
Through the darkness of the night;
We call them stars, my son, say stars

That one is Mars, my son, can you say it;
New word today, say stars.
As they blink all around us
Playing starry eyed games;
Who would think it astounds us
Simply naming their names.

Turn your eyes from the skies now
Turn around and look at me;
There's a light in my eyes now
And a word for what you see;
We call it love, my son, say love

So hard to say, my son, it gets harder.
New words today, we'll learn to say
Learn moon, learn stars, learn love.

P.S.  We thought it might be fun at the end of the week to put together a little Fatherhood Photo Essay.  Want to send us a picture to include????  wesandlori@gmail.com
(Doesn't have to be anything specific - just fatherhood related.  We'll let you decide what that means.)

No comments: