Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Side by Side

My friend Ryan and I got called on missions at about the same time, he to Brazil and I to Norway. It was surprising when we both got back how close we still were. And how serving in such vastly different cultures and climates had brought us to the same truth: that God lives and that He loves all his children. Ryan just had way cooler, life threatening stories than I did, including this one:

There are few times in life when you’re able to focus 100% on a single cause. A church mission provides that opportunity; to live, eat, sleep, and breathe the same work, with virtually no outside distractions.

In being asked to share how missionary service affected my spirituality/relationship with the Savior, I was reminded of the Abraham Lincoln quote: “I’ve been driven many times to my knees, by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go.” While a great deal of life experience is gained gradually, there are also singular moments of realization that forever change you. So I’d like to share one of those moments, and how it affected me.

I recall a night when my companion and I journeyed down an isolated dirt road through the jungle. Several people had told us not to take that route at night. But being young and foolish, I ignored their council. Thirty minutes into our walk, we heard rustling in the trees. Soon we could see faces, moving through the bush on either side of us. There were 7 or 8 men following us from a distance, but gradually moving in from either side. We were going to be robbed. This was certain. Probably beaten, and possibly killed. I remember feeling absolute terror. But a clear thought came to my mind. A favorite missionary scripture: “And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up. (D&C 84:88) ” And I remember thinking, “I don’t deserve to have that scripture apply to me. We were warned not to take this path at night. The Lord owes me nothing.” Seconds later, we came upon a small shack by the side of the path. The only occupied structure on this hour long journey. We knocked frantically at the door. A terrified voice from inside cried out “Go away! Leave us alone! Please don’t hurt us!” We desperately tried to convince the family we were not there to hurt them. As we begged to be let in, we saw 2 faces appear around the side of the house, then quickly disappear. The gang was emerging from the jungle and hiding behind the house, not 20 feet from where we stood. Suddenly the door flew open, a woman grabbed us by the shoulders, pulled us inside and slammed the door, locking all 3 deadbolts. An hour and a half later, we finally felt safe enough to leave. The next day we discovered that on the same night they had surrounded us, this band of robbers had pulled a taxi driver from his car, beaten and robbed him, and left him for dead. 2 weeks later, I got a letter from my Dad, dated the night of that incident. It said that he had felt a strong impression that I was in danger, and that he needed to pray for me immediately. And that when he got off his knees, he felt the assurance that I would be protected.

I’ve never felt so humbled. So childlike at the foot of a loving Father in Heaven. There are moments that forever change your perspective on life. Times when you’re privileged to “see the arm of the Lord revealed.” Missions provide an opportunity to work side by side with the Lord. To go to work each day with the Savior as your co-worker. These experiences certainly aren’t unique to missionaries. But because of the sheer volume of time spent in his service, missionaries get to see the Lord intervene in the affairs of men far more frequently than most people.