Friday, March 19, 2010

Missionary Week: Final Part

There's a little missionary-related piece of writing my mom sent me a few years ago (after her and my dad's mission) that I've been searching for to post today. But I haven't found it yet.

And there is a topic in my mind that begs writing down. But it's just too late.

There's the idea we discussed of doing a mission recipe exchange. Thought it would be fun to throw around some good international cuisine. But since we're too tired to look up and type out our exact recipes, we figured you probably were too.

So until I either find or write or have energy to do the above (and perhaps you know me well enough to predict that that might happen in time for Missionary Week 2011), here's a little documentation of the fun we had together last week:

(I told you: we love the window crayons)

What I wish I had a video of: Lucy and her Daddy singing Deilig er Jorden (Norwegians' Beautiful Savior) to begin our Monday night missionary celebration. What I at least have pictures of:

A good fish dinner. Very Norwegian. Thanks Cannon Center.

Lucy's flag place mats. For our Norwegian dessert that I didn't make (but we did eat left over baby shower cupcakes; I figured: Norwegians probably eat cupcakes).

A rousing game of "I have a little Troll and he won't scare you...


...and he won't scare you...
...but he will scare you!"


There were braids.
"Hi little Hilda!" Wes said affectionately to Lucy when he saw her wearing her supposedly Norwegian hairstyle. "Erter og poteter!" Lucy replied with a big grin and a skip in her step. ("peas and potatoes" is her favorite Norwegian phrase.)

And there were blueberries,

And there was an all-around good time.
But my favorite?


A little "read aloud" from the (amazing) Christmas gift Wes's parents compiled for him (and each of his siblings). Do you have a bunch of missionary letters laying around somewhere? You might consider making a similar compilation. Or you might at least consider pulling them out for a family read. It was a real treat for us!