Sunday, January 17, 2010

Another Testament

I imagine that I grew up with the Book of Mormon the way many Christians grow up with the Holy Bible: the book has been a constant and cherished part of my life.

I remember Dad praising my six-year-old reading ability when I took my turn to read from the Book of Mormon during family home evening. Later, I remember Mom coming into my room every night to read the Book of Mormon with me, when, as the youngest in our family, I was the only one stuck with an eight o’clock bedtime. I have to admit, I tried hard to prolong those reading sessions - not for the love of scripture, or even for the love of my mom, but because I wanted to stay awake! It’s interesting, though, how much my love for Mom and for the scriptures has grown because of those memories.

And then, who wasn’t going to continue daily reading when all their siblings were doing it? I really had an ideal upbringing when it comes to developing a love for the Book of Mormon. In fact, many people would assume that my testimony is a result of my upbringing.

However, it’s not tradition or familiarity alone that motivate me to declare the truth of the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is more than a piece (even a large piece) of my family history. It has been a source of comfort, direction, assurance and strength to me personally. Truly, it has become the foundation of my understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is, to me, sure evidence of Christ’s mortal ministry and contains the promise of his second coming.

When Lori and I were just newly engaged, we used to go outside our apartments early in the morning to run and read scripture together (oh, how easy it was to do such things before children!). It was a fun time, the early summertime air was the perfect temperature, very few people were around (which is pretty rare if you think about your on-campus days), and we could just talk about our hopes and anticipations for the future. One morning, while we were talking about dreams and all that we planned on for the future, Lori shared a scripture from the Book of Mormon - one that is representative of why I love the book:

For behold, I say unto you there be many things to come; and behold, there is one thing which is of more importance than they all—for behold, the time is not far distant that the Redeemer liveth and cometh among his people. Alma 7:7.

The seven plus years since that early morning have caused me to think about Alma’s words often. Indeed "many things [have] come": the loss of loved ones, the birth of new ones, sickness, fun, happiness, hardship. And I know many more things – both good and challenging things – will come in the future.

Amid it all, the Book of Mormon helps to keep me focused. It anchors me on that “one thing which is of more importance than they all,” the reality of the Savior's life, His atonement, and His future coming into the world.